Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Setting Moon over the Mayacamas Mountains

Moon over Mayacamas
Photo courtesy of Joe Bauer

I was on my way to work at 5:44 this morning when my cell phone rang.  I noted that the incoming call was from my good buddy, Joe Bauer.  Since Joe is not usually vertical at that time of the day, my first thought was that something bad had happened.  I was relieved when he asked me if I had seen the full moon. He said he called me because he knew I'd be up. I briefly thought about taking some pictures but knew that Joe would be taking better pictures than I could.  And ain't that a great one?  (Be sure to click on it to enlarge)

According to the Farmers' Almanac, the June full moon is the Full Strawberry moon:

"Full Strawberry Moon – June This name was universal to every Algonquin tribe. However, in Europe they called it the Rose Moon. Also because the relatively short season for harvesting strawberries comes each year during the month of June . . . so the full Moon that occurs during that month was christened for the strawberry!"

To checkout all the full moon names, click on this link:

1 comment:

Steve said...

Ranndy,

Thanks for the history of the Strawberry Moon. The strawberry harvest is just over for us the the Central Valley.

And as always Joe's pictures are great.

Steve