Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Starry Starry Night

It was around 4:00 AM when I first became aware of wind machines running. I listened for a while and got the idea to go in the spa where I could hear them better. Once again, I was enjoying that symphony of internal combustion engines, with Mother Nature as the conductor. I imagined her pointing her baton towards the south, when another wind machine started in that direction. And then she emphatically pointed towards the north and a loud wind machine responded. The stars were a brilliant backdrop to the presentation. For a moment, I thought I could see a satellite zooming across the skies, like I used to be able to see. But then I accepted, that without my glasses, that was not likely. But still a nice show. I thought more people should just surrender to it, get out of bed and appreciate the fact that we live in the middle of vineyards that need this protection. Easy for me to say, that's my normal waking time.
I'm sitting at my desk now, listening to the radio communications between our guys tasked with keeping Mother Nature at bay. But as I was making the first pot of coffee, one of our field foremen was getting ice out of our ice machine in preparation of the work day ahead. Life goes on.

No comments: