Thursday, February 11, 2010

Winery Dog Yogi, Part 2 - The Orvis Catalog

 
Yogi Bear

For a mixed-breed mutt from the pound,
isn’t he a handsome devil?

I thought so, so when Orvis announced the “Orvis Dog Book Cover Contest - 2009”, I decided to send in the following picture. There was a small cash prize for the winner, but that wasn’t my reason to send it in.



The Orvis entry instructions were: Please include your full name, mailing address, daytime phone number, e-mail contact information and the name of your dog with your submission.

I submitted the picture giving credit to the photographer, Joe Bauer. To let the Orvis folks know that Joe was “okay” with my submitting “his” photo, I cc’d him with that email, as well as my wife, Cindy.

Cindy had been diagnosed with a serious illness the previous month. So when Joe got the email he replied:

“...and remember, if we win the $, it goes toward medical expenses. :-)”

I pretended to interpret his statement incorrectly and typed in the following reply:

“That’s good, cuz Yogi wants his nuts back!”

So I’m thinking that I’m pretty funny. As I transmitted, I thought that Joe & Cindy would get a chuckle out of that.

It was about .25 seconds after I hit the transmit key that I realized my “Reply to All” also went to the folks at Orvis.

OOPS!

Removing Orvis from the next email that I sent to Joe & Cindy:

“Oh S#*&! Didn’t realize that Orvis was on that last cc list.

To which my Cindy replied:

“Well, we can kiss that money good bye. I will explain to Yogi that it was his Dad’s and Uncle Joe’s fault his modeling career went down the tubes!”
 
================================
 
Expecting that the Orvis folks would delete that entry from the competition, I decided to submit another Joe Bauer photo of Yogi:
 

This photo was taken at Lawson’s Landing (Dillon Beach). Yogi loves to watch the campers, dogs and cattle pass by our 5th wheel trailer that is parked there, so I cut a hole in the fence for him. Everybody gets a kick out of seeing Yogi with his head out the hole. It’s not uncommon for small children to call his name when he’s not at his post looking out. Yogi is better known and has a much larger “presence” there than Cindy & I do, and we’re okay with that.

Not too long after that, the Orvis folks contacted Joe for authorization to use a picture of Yogi. We thought that was a good sign, but time passed and we didn’t hear anything else from them.

Eventually, I found out that Orvis posted a video on YouTube:

Funny and Cute Dog Photo Contest Entries for Orvis Cover Dog Contest 2009

I started watching it and thought to myself, Dang, these are some great looking dogs! No wonder Yogi didn’t make it in there.

And then, 2 minutes and 15 seconds into the video, the following image popped up!
 
There are some great pictures in that video, check it out!
 

No comments: